A little over a year ago my father-in-law passed away, and I offered to make a couple of memory quilts from his numerous button-down shirts. This was to be the second time I endeavored to make memory quilts from shirts from a family member. (See #quiltsfrombeau & this link to see my first two memory quilts ever made). The picture above shows the shirts after I had deconstructed them down in to workable (flat) pieces of fabric. There were actually several more shirts that I rejected for being too stiff and thick (read: canvas and thick thick flannels). I had a lot to work with!
My FiL was from Nebraska and therefore had a lot LOT of red/maroon shirts. I started with those and used the same method that I used for Beau's memory quilts: I cut 12" squares and strips of varying widths and then used the "slice & insert" method. My first step was to layout the background squares. Once I had them how I wanted, I added the strips, and then trimmed the block down to 10" square.
Fast forward months and months, and I recently motivated to straight-line quilt this guy.
This quilt has 36 blocks that finish at 10" square, making the quilt 60" x 60". I backed it with peachy tan pine tree print from Art Gallery Fabrics (very hard to photograph). Check out #johnsshirtquilts to see more pics made from my FiL's shirts.