As I've mentioned a few times already, I attended Sewtopia in Chicago this April (2015). As part of the retreat, they sent us a collection of Michael Miller Fabrics. The idea was to make something (anything!) out of the fabrics and enter them in a friendly competition or "challenge." This was a new one for me! You had to use some of the fabrics that they sent us, but you could add any other Michael Miller Fabrics.
The colors of the fabrics that were sent out were bright and a little bit outside of what I normally work with. However, I found a very cool coordinating fabric to use for the backing and used that as inspiration for the front. (Is that backwards?)
I used all of the fabrics that were sent, and added: White! (Michael Cotton Couture in Bright White to be exact), and went with a very traditional "broken dishes" layout of half-square triangles. The HST blocks finish at 5 inches, and the entire quilt is 40x40 inches.
I echo quilted on both sides of every seam and love how it created little perfect stars where the blocks meet.
This quilt has been listed for sale in my Etsy store.
It is time to make my To Do list for Quarter 2 (Q2) of the 2015 Finish-A-Long. Here goes (the first 5 are shown above):
1. The last of my Cabin Quilts: the Purple Wonky Flying Geese. This one needs to be basted, quilted and bound. You can see this quilt here.
2 & 3: I have made two quilt tops from donated scraps. These tops will be donated to a local charity. These needs to be basted, quilted and bound. You can see the quilt tops here and here.
4. I have all but one of my 2013 & 2014 Mod Q Impro B Bee blocks. In 2013 I asked for people to make me improv house blocks, and then in 2014 I asked for improv trees. The one block missing is the block that I need to make. (Ha!) These guys need to be laid out, sewn in to a top, basted, quilted, and bound. You can read more about this quilt here and here.
5. I've finished hand-quilting (and embroidering a nose for) my paper-pieced Rudolph block. This is destined to be a pillow It needs to have the envelope backing assembled and attached.
The last two projects are ones that will be started (and hopefully almost completed) at the Sewtopia retreat next week. The patterns are picked and the fabric has been pulled (and some cut) for these two projects:
6. A pillow made in Rita Hodge's class on how to make Kansas Dugout blocks.
7. A baby quilt using Latifah Saafir's Molehill pattern.
Linking up with Adrianne from On the Windy Side.
I finished another in my series of "Cabin Quilts." This is the second of my "Cabin Quilts" to be completely done and is the second (and last) item that I finished from my Q1 Finish-a-Long List.
You can read more about my Plus quilt here and here. This quilt is made entirely of Kona Cottons. The background is Kona Wine, the pluses are Ivory, Holly and Eggplant. I backed the quilt in Spruce and bound it by machine in Windsor. As I did with my the first cabin quilt that I finished, my Bear Paw quilt, I did straight line quilting every inch or so.
Outstanding items from my Q1 List:
- I still have my last two Cabin Quilt tops to baste, quilt and bind
- I haven't managed to get any further on my improv house and tree blocks.
Linking up to Adrianne from On the Windy Side.
On to Q2 now!