Remember when I made the pink ocean waves baby quilt and said that I wanted to make a big version? Well I made it - I just made it in yellow, not blue! The first one I made used squares that finished at 2", and just by making the squares 1" larger, you can end up with a throw-sized quilt.
I pieced this version of the ocean waves quilt with ALL 3.5" unfinished squares and half-square-triangles, which made it possible to web-piece the quilt. It also made the scrappy background nice and evenly scrappy - without any of the larger rectangular background pieces typical in the Ocean Waves block.
As is the case with all of my scrappy quilts, my design wall played an integral part. It takes a lot of time to lay out all of the squares, and to make sure that similar fabrics aren't placed too closely to each other.
I pieced this quilt over the summer and it feels so bright and sunny! I backed the quilt with "Amber's Posy," a Liberty lawn floral print. I wanted a light and bright multi-color print to back this quilt.
As a treat to myself, I had this quilt quilted by my local long-arm quilter. I wanted a loopy pattern and the quilter nailed it.
It felt a little weird to be taking pictures of my summer quilt in late October with patches of snow on the ground, but it'll be amazing to pull this one out of storage in June!
This guy has 36 blocks and finishes at roughly 72" x 72".
There are 12 HST and 4 solid fabric squares per block. If you do the quilty math: that makes for 432 HST and 144 squares.
Thanks for stopping by!
Second set of commissioned twin quilts! I had a lot of fun working through the design process with these guys. I started off with a very complicated busy design, slept on it, and then edited heavily in the morning. Below on the left you can see the start of my design (marker, tape & paper), and on the right is where the design ended up (EQ8). I love the final design!
In total, there are 6 different blocks in this quilt; measurements and piecing instructions are saved in my story highlights on Instagram. (Click here to see my highlights.) You can also check out #stellarsamplerquilt for more pictures of the quilts.
I cut all the fabric pieces at once and worked hard to keep all of the pieces for each block organized. Once the tops were pieced, I backed them with pink and blue fabrics from designers who now work for Ruby Star Society, and quilted straight lines.
I bound the quilts with a small gray striped print from Figo Fabrics.
These quilts will soon be off to new twins and I hope that they get lots of use and love - as always!
These quilts finish at 40" square.
All solid fabrics are Kona solids from Robert Kaufman. For the blue quilt, I used Candy Blue & Regatta. For the pink quilt I used Melon & Peach. The background fabric for both quilts is Snow - a slightly off white fabric.