Finish: Pumpkins Quilt
In March, I finished my Pumpkins Quilt that I started in October 2017. The original quilt and pattern are designed to make this quilt a "fall" quilt, but I decided to make mine specifically for Halloween. I had fun using up lots of orange scraps, and didn't exactly follow the pattern's assembly method (since I was using scraps that I had pre-cut in to squares and not strips or fat quarters). Usually I end up adapting a pattern in some way tho, so that wasn't a surprise.
I can't wait to bring this quilt out in October. Only 6 months to go...
- Pattern is Pumpkins from Cluck Cluck Sew
- Finished quilt size is 58" x 72"
- Panto (quilting) is Spiderweb from Urban Elementz
- Orange fabrics are an assortment from my stash and scrap bin
- Background fabric is Sketch from Carolyn Friedlander
- Backing fabric is Niko from Cotton + Steel's Lil' Monsters Collection
Fabric Diet: March 2018
It is time for another monthly Fabric Diet summary! The first two months of 2018 had me buying more fabric than I was using (see my January and February posts), so I went in to March with lots of motivation to make some things and use lots of fabric.
This month I managed to finish blocks for two different quilts in my traveling quilt group (above), and then got started on a donation quilt kick. I started by going through some larger cuts of fabric from my stash and putting together some "whole cloth" quilts to have long-arm quilted. While going through my stash, I came across left overs from a fat-quarter bundle I bought a few years ago. (Click here to see the original quilt.) I decided to cut all remaining fabric from this collection in to square and sew them together as two more donation quilts (shown at the top on my design wall).
Since I was taking a pile of donation quilts to my long-arm quilter, I also prepped some bindings and took a few of my other finished quilt tops. I think that binding always looks so perfect when it's all done and rolled up, so I had to take a picture.
This month I also had a fair amount of secret sewing that I can't yet show. Look for pictures of those projects on my Instagram feed by Monday of next week (April 9, 2018).
Here is the summary of what I bought, what I made, and where my stash stands for the year:
Fabric Diet Standings
Fabric Purchases: 15.75 yards
Fabric Used in Projects: 35 yards
Net for the Month: -19.25 yards
Net for the Year: 4 yards up
**I should also mention that in March I pulled lots of fabric for projects and classes I'll be working on in Salt Lake City for another Sewtopia Retreat. I fully expect that I will not actually use all that fabric, and some of it will be entered back in to my stash next month.