It was another snowy day here. So impulsively I pulled down the faux-linen vertical blinds from the window in my sewing room...and turned a potential quilt backing into a new window valance!
If you follow me on Flickr, you will have already seen this pic (below). I was experimenting with making a pieced backing for my chevron quilt. However, once I had the pieces sewn together I didn't like it for a backing. My next move was going to be to cut some big perpendicular "slashes" across the strips and turn it in to a modern quilt top. And that's where it sat for a week. Until I woke up this morning and decided to turn it in to a pieced panel for a window valance.
I still liked the the idea of making orange slashes. So I cut the panel in half and then went about slashing a sort-of wonky disjointed chevron across the strips. Next I found a piece of black-out lining, hemmed them both, sewed them together on three sides, and sewed a pocket for a curtain rod.
And voila! Window valance.
Can I just say that I have been obsessed with turquoise or mint lately. I inadvertently painted my living area walls a light turquoise-y color (I thought it would be much more gray than it ended up being). Regardless, the new valance also looks nice with the entry/kitchen walls.
Next project: I'm looking forward to finishing the Scrappy Trips Around the World quilt shown here on my design wall (left).