It's DONE! The King Chevron quilt is done! As are 3 european-sized pillow shams that I made to go with the quilt. This project has been on my "to do" list for the Finish-A-Long for 2 quarters and I'm happy to say it is done. (Can you tell?)
This was a commissioned quilt and it was requested that I made a chevron quilt that didn't have any yellow, didn't use any flowery or childish prints, included turquoise & gray, and matched an accent wall in the bedroom where it will live (hence the mushroom background color). The customer also requested random pops of orange.
The finished quilt came in at 110" x 110" prior to a final washing and is by far the biggest quilt I've ever made. It is comprised of 324 six-inch half-square triangles. The backing fabric is Kona Mushroom and there are around 36 gray, lt. blue, dark blue, turquoise, purple and orange prints used from too many collections to name. Most of the prints were tone-on-tone or white-on-tone.
I don't have a great shot of the finished quilt backing, but I included rejected blocks from the quilt top and arranged them in to pinwheels - or windmills. The quilt is headed to the house of a farmer, so I thought that would be appropriate. I opted to quilt vertical lines through the points of the chevrons. I wanted to break up the strong horizontal lines from the pieced pattern in the quilt top, but not add too much to a quilt top that was already very bold.
I bound the quilt in multicolored scraps from the quilt top.
When it came time to make the coordinating euro shams, I struggled to come up with a design that wouldn't clash with the chevrons but would still stand out. I decided to do color-blocked circles. I backed the pillows in an ikat polka dot home decor weight cotton/linen blend from Premier Prints.
The King Chevron quilt counts as my second finish for Q4 in the Finish-A-Long! Two projects down, 2 to go.